Popular Posts

Monday, January 9, 2012

JIHAD: To Work is To Survive with Dignity Intact

Communicate, Coordinate, and Collaborate for
faster, smarter and better dswd services....
"....When the government cannot adequately afford social protection to the constituents; when it cannot alleviate peace and security issues in the homeland, despite and inspite of labor and social legislation as well as fundamental principles enshrined in its Constitution and by-Laws, the poor along with 8-million documented OFWs out of self-gratification or instinctual self-preservation find the option to look for Alien Frontiers in One’s Individual Fight Against Destitution. - http://www.mindanaoexaminer.co/news.php?news_id=20080519201902

With 2011 Annual Budget of Php 1.492 Billion, DOLE Can Do...... More Than Jobs!



These OFWS and wannabes, borne of dignified guts and courage, refuse to surrender to poverty. Sick and tired of being the colloquial PAL (palamunin) member, dole-outs beneficiaries, these Pinoys are unrelenting and are actually rising up to the challenge by not taking flight from windows of opportunities, however, unsecured zones it may seem to be.

These Pinoys are braving the expansive horizon that Almighty God has created for them. They are curious of every square meter area of this Earth, and hope somehow to earn foreign currency and to set foot to a foreign country. It is proactive motivation that propels them to be self-sufficient. After all, there is DIGNITY in honest labor, notwithstanding the threat of unfair labor practices or actually falling prey to it with consent.
Venturing Alien Frontiers To Eke Out
"Why Pinoys & Pinays Work Abroad For Measly 250 USD?" By Warina Sushil Jukuy
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 09:19:02 AM


Out of the more than 88.6 million population in the Philippines today, are you one among the 27 million (Eiler, IBON, NSO and SWP statistics vary) Filipinos who are either jobless or economically unproductive”? Or do you belong to the “undocumented yet number” of Pinoys who either “work or aspire to work as DH or private tutor abroad” for a measly salary of “250 USD?”

If so, have you been asked why would you want to be an OFW for 250 USD with triple question marks attached at the end of such question? Well, count me in!

Asked why I would want to be an OFW for 250 USD with triple question marks attached at the end of such question, here’s my riposte!

After grinning inwardly and rolling my eyes 360 degrees, masha’ALLAH, I typed either you read it wrongly or you never read it at all! Then I texted, “…my article ‘Why Pinoys work abroad for 250 USD’ will be off-press tomorrow. Between you and me thank you for the inspiration, alhamdulillah!”

Personally, I was mildly dejected on how the rice price lately has been hiking up and how the law of supply and demand heavily impacted on the prices of cassava, flour, and pandesal in Sulu. I joked that I will be herbivorous from now on contemplating on the million creative ways of cooking kangkong and malunggay; squash, carrots, and potatoes and other green veggies in Sulu are relatively expensive.

(Quite a challenging prospect for those who are horizontally challenged) Although like any local in Sulu, I love sautéed grated papaya (unripe of course) with shredded unsalted dried fish indigenously known as sayul kapaya and sayul nangka to mean jack fruit veggies cooked in coco milk, again with shredded unsalted dried fish.

Where’s my riposte? That has bearing to my riposte! ;) I am merely acknowledging the looming recession or stagflation coupled with the inevitable law of supply and demand on basic commodities and how this fact inevitably further endangers human security of the endangered poor. That’s for icebreaker.

Well, I am contemplating on working as an OFW but not for 250 USD. However, as I was met with resounding opposition at home and with astounding reaction by my OFW special friend, I turned resolute that I shall work as a Private Tutor despite and inspite of the 250 USD wage which is 150 USD short of the minimum wage set for HSW by the government.

I mentally declared: “For 250$, I want to contribute to the OFW remittance worth 10.7B (Gonzalez, SWP 2007) or a “whopping 12% of GDP” (Altman, 2006)! As a selfless OFW, my remittance can shield recipient households from environmental risks! I want to earn money bi ijnillah through sheer physical and mental effort so I will have the means for my philanthropic propensity.” And… my shred of selfish desire to go on hajj and own a printing press! =D Insha’ALLAH.

Well, I have not been gainfully employed for almost eight years now. I just thought (uhm, psychologists might call this either midlife or personal crisis) what the heck, if I can work voluntarily sans compensation as in gratis for many years now, why wouldn’t I entertain the idea of sweating it out for big bucks? Well, zero centavo as compared to 250 USD, the latter is indeed big bucks, I soon found out.

Yes, I discovered a lot of ignored truths for the jobless and the OFWs. All along, I thought a private tutor is an unequivocal term. I soon found out when I was interviewed by the principal interviewer that it is ambivalent in meaning as in private tutor-cum-household service worker or DH. The employer believes that since the private tutor has nothing to do but sleep from 6 am to 2 pm when the kids are in school then naturally it follows that the private tutor must help with household chores.

Basically, there’s nothing wrong with helping out since I am inherently into volunteerism but there must be absolutely no compulsion. To work as an OFW, and to be an NGO volunteer by choice is entirely different. Indignation seeps into the perspective of legal and social protection along the lines of dignity of labor.

Sadly, foreign employers lack ingenuity. A worker on one’s spare time can do whatever he/she pleases as long as it is not contrary to law. Apart from oversleeping (imagine crossing continents just to oversleep!), one can always read, learn a foreign language at home, browse the web for interactive learning, go to madrasah, paint, exercise, meditate, as well as do personal chores like laundry and ironing.
 
"Whoever works righteousness, whether male or female, while he (or she) is a true believer, verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world) with respect, and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do."   Surah An-Nahl:97



My initial reaction was how pathetic it was that most of the jobless Pinoys are compelled to be in concession mode when it comes to agreeing formally to an overseas contract in the presence of a direct hirer due to dire circumstances. The bleak prospect of their status as a degree holder but non-earner, as a local labandera, yaya or katulong for 500 to 1,000 pesos a month fuels their motivation to look for brighter prospect such as 250 USD / 10.25K plus. Why not, indeed?

Confronted with this situation, amidst this background of actual scenarios as I rubbed shoulder to shoulder with fellow jobless citizens, I ultimately understood why they have to and must concede. Although they are victims of human right violations, it is equally an HRV for me to assert for their rights because I have no right to deprive them of their chosen means of livelihood especially that I cannot personally guarantee how they can eke out of living.

It was cathartic in the sense that my dread and indignation- for those undocumented number of exploited, underpaid and abused overseas workers out there and the prospective victims surrounding me- turned into compassion for their plight.

These OFWS and wannabes, borne of dignified guts and courage, refuse to surrender to poverty. Sick and tired of being the colloquial PAL (palamunin) member, dole-outs beneficiaries, these Pinoys are unrelenting and are actually rising up to the challenge by not taking flight from windows of opportunities, however, unsecured zones it may seem to be.

These Pinoys are braving the expansive horizon that Almighty God has created for them. They are curious of every square meter area of this Earth, and hope somehow to earn foreign currency and to set foot to a foreign country. It is proactive motivation that propels them to be self-sufficient. After all, there is DIGNITY in honest labor, notwithstanding the threat of unfair labor practices or actually falling prey to it with consent.

When the government cannot adequately afford social protection to the constituents; when it cannot alleviate peace and security issues in the homeland, despite and inspite of labor and social legislation as well as fundamental principles enshrined in its Constitution and by-Laws, the poor along with 8-million documented OFWs out of self-gratification or instinctual self-preservation find the option to look for Alien Frontiers in One’s Individual Fight Against Destitution.

The top 10 alien frontiers or country-destinations of OFWs are Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Qatar, Taiwan, Singapore, Italy, United Kingdom, and South Korea. In effect, they have unknowingly but heroically bolstered the GDP growth of the Philippines. May Allah lead us to the peace and security that we are seeking in this world and the hereafter. Ameen.

PS.Unfortunately, I failed in the interview. Miraculously, within 10 minutes, I was rejected as a private tutor because I was a “master” (sic, not mine) but was offered a job in the University by my Kuwaiti interviewer; and to top it all was given 300 USD for my "volunteerism" in Islam efforts. Masha’ALLAH! The amanat given to me was accordingly bestowed.

"And whosoever fears ALLAH
and keeps his duty,
HE will make him get out
from every difficulty, and
provide him in ways he
never could imagine."
Surah at Talaq:2-3




No comments:

Post a Comment